University of Maiduguri - NE
The University of Maiduguri Biotechnology Centre (UMBIOTECH) was established on 8th September, 2003 following Council approval at its meeting held on Thursday, 4th September, 2003. Since its inception, the Centre has, the following objectives:
- Develop the field of Biotechnology and related research activities in the University:
- Support the development of the vast bioresource potentials of the catchment area of the University; the need oriented biotechnology research.
- Serve as a liaison between Units of the University on biotechnological research matters of information sharing, having taken into account the State of the art in national and international biotechnology development for wealth creation, particularly in small and medium scale enterprises such as Bee Keeping, Mushroom Production, Biogas Development, Heat Stable Vaccine Development, etc.
- Serve as Coordinating Centre for the North-East Zone for National Biotechnology Development Agency (NABDA) in accordance with the mandate of NABDA.
- Structure: Units and Divisions that make up the Centre:
a.Â Â Â Office of the Coordinating Director
b.Â Â Â Library and Internet facility
c.Â Â Â Tissue Culture Laboratory
d.Â Â Â Main DNA Molecular Laboratory.
e.Â Â Â Screen House and Green House